How to do Directed Activism
What is directed activism?
We are in the business of spreadings ideas. Ideas that you should like my brand, ideas that you you should vote for my candidate or ideas that you should change what you are doing and do something else.
We also all understand broadcast media and how it works:
- You find an audience
- You take the message you want to share and you craft and package it so it appeals to that audience.
- You share it over and over again with that audience.
I think that we all get interactive online media as well:
- You find an audience or create an audience by say getting people to like a Facebook page or following a twitter account.
- You take your message and craft and package it so that it appeals to that market.
- You share it with that audience over and over.
- Your audience answers back and you engage with the audience.
But do you really get Social Media?
- You get an audience.
- Your audience gets an audience.
- Your audiences audience gets an audience.
You know who your audience is but do you know your audience’s audience’s audience?
- Because they aren’t an audience they are a community and a community is different to an audience.
- The people in the community have roles, some are experts, some are followers, some are discussion starters and some are bridges that link the communities to another community.
- Do you know how to maximise the spread of the message through the community in such a way as to achieve behavioural change?
- This is not packaging a message in such a way that it is passed along:
- This trying to facilitate the conversation so that the conversation happens, that people who care become your ambassadors and fans.
So how do you set up a directed activism campaign?
- You understand what the community is about. Mostly it’s not about you its about them. The community on your brand page maybe your audience but its not the community. You need to find what the campfire is, what attracted them – why they are there in the first place.
Your brand group is a cluster in the market community, not the community
- You need to understand the shape of the community and the roles different people play.
- You need to identify the activists.
- You need to help build their clusters and audiences and you need to empower them to reach your collective goal.
- You need to create a brand role in the community.
- You need to use big data, tech, social science and traditional and marketing techniques to nudge the conversations in the community.
Directed Activism has been developed by PiKE as a methodology to operate in the post broadcast or social era. Pike builds and manages Directed Activism © programmes for brands, political campaigns and social change initiatives.
We also do social network analysis. Can you read and understand the graph in the picture? If not you need us.
In: Advertising, internet, Marketing, social media, viral